Being the Change – How Easy It Can Be
I have been watching and absorbing the videos that Nicky Mih of Inspired Living has been sending out as part of the Quest to Be The Change Group. The messages are short, inspiring gifts of information supporting and encouraging us to make a difference in the world to someone in some way. So what does it mean to make a difference? What ever you want it to mean.
Nicky has a charity that supports women and young girls to get out of the sex slave industry and into school and work. Another woman I know rescues horses from the slaughter yard, rehabilitates them and adopts them out to families to love. I know not all of us needs to or even wants the responsibility and commitment to start a charity, but even very small acts of kindness can make a huge difference and it doesn’t have to cost anything more than a little time and energy.
So here are my top five way to make a difference –
- Volunteer – donate a bit of time to assist and already established charity organization. Most run mainly on donation and your skills or energy may be just the thing they need. The walk for Daniel is coming up, perhaps you can volunteer to help with that.
- Connect – Spend the whole day just being with your family or friends. I mean uninterrupted, technology free, fully focused, ‘I’m here for you’, type of connection. That will make such a difference to your children, partner or friend – what a gift to give them – yourself.
- Tutor – What skills or knowledge do you have that you could share with someone who if they had that knowledge, would open up a new world of possibilities? Never underestimate the power of knowledge. Whether it is showing kids at school how to draw, teaching your nephew to fish, explaining the internet to your elderly neighbour or showing some underprivileged girls how to put on make up – it could exactly want they needed at that time in their lives.
- Smile – They are free, energizing for both you and the recipient and can brighten a somewhat dull day. I know that the days I am feeling great and my whole being is smiling, people notice (even though I wonder sometimes if my fly is undone!). People want some of that feeling so give it away!
- Self – devote time to your own growth and evolution. Make it a priority. Any change – personal or global begins with us. When you are happy, content and in love with who you are the repercussions of that on your family, friends and community can and will be huge.
So my fellow ‘stars’ let your light shine so that your glow can light the paths for others to follow. And always remember you do make a difference just by being you.